Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Zocalo

Had a busy Saturday, Akilah and I met Helen and then went to the organic market. Also with us was Debbie, who is a teacher in my group and arrived last night and staying at Casita Camila. The market was great, and I was able to get a lettuce mix, arugula, eggs and cilantro. I also ate an amazing blue corn tortilla that had mushrooms, cheese and arugula, made fresh for me!  Helen and I picked up our laundry, and then we all went to the zocalo (the main central square in Oaxaca). As an aside, the laundromats here are full service, so you drop your laundry one day and it's ready the next... 3 kilos (for me 4 pairs of pants/shorts, 5 t-shirts, socks, undies, bras) of clothes cost $3 to wash, dry and fold. But you must, of course, give the instruction, "Por favor, no braserros in la machina de secca!" - basically, don't put the bras in the dryer!

We met a whole bunch of the rest of the NEH Oaxaca group at the zocalo for lunch... It will take awhile to meet and remember everyone as there are 30 people in our group... Certainly  makes for very conspicuous outings, wouldn't you say? I mean, I already stand out because of my white skin and blue eyes, but with a group of gringos that large, we're hard to miss!

A young boy and his sister dancing on the zocalo.

On the way to the organic market, the arches used to be aqueducts (for water).


We passed by this small weaving shop, which is in the front room of their house.


The man in front is spinning the yarn/ thread and the man in the back is doing the actual weaving by hand.


The organic market.


A singer at a pride parade at the zocalo.


As Debbie and I were watching the clowns, I got pulled into their act for a few minutes since the realized I spoke some Spanish and they made a bit of fun of me, but I got to poke alittle fun at them! It was a cool experience.

We are going to a fiesta at Teotitlan today, so will post on that later!  Hasta Luego!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Food sounds good. What was the man weaving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems they mostly weave tablecloths, curtains, napkins and placemats. All very nice. My friend Helen bought curtains for her bathroom.

    ReplyDelete