Saturday, July 31, 2010

Octotlan market and some art...

Not much too do this weekend, except work on my lesson plans and Powerpoint etc for a brief presentation on Monday. Though I did get a manicure and pedicure yesterday, and the girls were so enamored with the metallic "spring green" nail polish I brought with me, I left it as a gift for them!


However, went to Octotlan market last Saturday (and had started a post, but never finished nor published it, so here it is below) with Jake, Zak, Pearl, Pam, Kim, Stef, Ron and his wife. Markets are always lots of fun, plenty to see... 
Big markets like this one are very similar to a big box store in the States, you can get just about anything you want or could dream of, all in the open air.
Hands full of shopping bags? No worries, just head carry it so that you can use your hands to carry more things!
Those are bees on the sweet bread, not flies.
Pig head anyone?



Old lady selling herbs. And you better believe she wanted to be paid for her photo, which was one thing I did NOT like about that particular market. Most people expected to be paid at Octotlan, even one lady, who the only photo I took was of her flowers (above), NOT of her. *sigh*













After a couple hours of that, the others went back to Oaxaca, while Jake, Pearl, Zak and I stayed on to visit Josefina Aguilar, who is very well known for her clay figures. 

  


















After lunch we headed back and stopped at San Martin Tilcajete, a small town known for it's alebrijes. I bought a beautiful hummingbird from Efrain and Silvia Fuentes. I can't wait to hang it from the ceiling.  



1 comment: