Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Festival at Teotitlan

Sunday, Juan suggested we go to Teotitlan to see their festival and visit his friend Jose Mendoza Martinez, who is a weaver from a family of weavers. Teotitlan del Valle is known for their textiles. It seems that most everyone in the town weaves, as has been the tradition for centuries.

So, we pack 5 people in a taxi (6 including the driver) to Teotitlan (about 20 mins away). First, we get to the church and see all the people gathered in the square watching the traditional dances. From what I could tell, it was about the Zapotec people before Spain arrived, then showing Spain's troops arriving... and well, you can see... The kids played a very important role in all this... there were also little girls in beautiful dresses who danced.






The young "Spanish" soldiers... LOVE the itty bitty in the fancy feathered hat closest to me.

We then went to Jose's house to visit and see the family weavings. Jose's young, 25, and his mother also weaves (as did his father, who is deceased). So we met mom, grandma, his brothers, and a few cousins. Jose showed us the looms and how he weaves. His work is beautiful, very unique, and he works in natural fibers and dyes. He's exhibited abit and is slowly making a name for himself, it seems. I *really* want one of his weavings, but they are abit too much money for me. But I did buy a lovely one (synthetic dyes) made by his mom for her first offer of P$200 (less than $20USD). The weavings are truly a work of art and very time consuming.

Jose at work.


Abuela (grandma) hugged us all like we were long lost children, she came up to maybe my armpit... itty bitty thing, but plump. She laughed when I told she looked no older than 25.
Abuela.

 Mom (Rosalia Martinez) made us a very traditional chicken soup (it was broth based with chicken and very souffle-like eggs... add abit of chili and YUM!) with homemade yellow mole chicken tamales.  Tamales here, generally, I have noticed are much thinner than we are used to in Texas... the masa is more crepe-like, but very good nonetheless.

Rosalia with my weaving.

Then we come to find out that one of Jose's brothers (David - 18) plays violin in a mariachi band, so he eagerly put on his uniform and played for us, and sang too (extremely well, he's studying singing). I will be making copies of the photos here in Oaxaca to send to them.

David in his mariachi uniform in front of more of Rosalia's weavings.


Then, as we were leaving, there was this lovely couple of elderly ladies, and I asked if I could take their picture. The younger said Yes, please! but the older said Oh no! I look terrible! and smoothed her clothes with her hand, but the younger insisted. After the photo was taken (with the younger's husband), I come to find out that they are mother and daughter, and mom's 98!!! They both were no taller than my shoulder. And, they made *sure* I received their address so as to send them copies of the photo, which I will most certainly do since I can get prints made here in Oaxaca.


Aren't they beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I wish I had been there!!! Loved it. What a wonderful day. I would have paid you to buy me a textile. Especially from them! They are beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete